Saturday, January 19, 2008

Post-Debate Musings

Over the past couple of days, I've been reflecting on the last Board meeting (Tues, Jan 15) and the debate of the motion I put forward. How did I feel about it? What did I learn? What would I do differently next time? What did I miss? It's a very human (and annoying) reaction to think of all the things you should have said the next day, but in the end, I'm very pleased with how well the Board held up the ideals of democracy on Tuesday night. Points were clearly stated, concerns articulated and despite the vigorous difference of opinions, it never spiralled off into table-thumping or name-calling. Yes, it was long and there were many amendments as we struggled to find consensus, but as I've said before: "Democracy is messy work". If you want quick, decisive and irrevocable, dictators are the way to go!

Here's the summary of the meeting which includes the final wording of the motion. http://www.epsb.ca/board/jan15_08/item00.pdf

If you are interested in reading the full transcript, you can request it by contacting EPSB.

No comments: