Monday, January 28, 2008

School Closure Vote

First of all, I'd like to apologize for the last minute nature of this critical information. I only received it on Friday evening and have spent most of the weekend reviewing the recommendations. It's a very dense report and I haven't had a lot of time to share it with you.

Like all reports that come to Board, it is posted on the EPSB website on Friday, under the Board agendas. The report is called the Annual Implementation plan. (Click on the highlighted words to link to it directly or cut and paste: www.epsb.ca/board/jan29_08/item04.pdf).

The recommendations: Continuation Review for Coronation, Grovenor and Horse Hill.
Initiate closure for Woodcroft and Ritchie.

Initiating the school closure process does not always mean the school will close, but I believe in about 80% of the cases over the past couple of years, it does result in closure. The "glass half full" approach would be to say that 20% of the time, the school is not closed.

For me, this report represents the most difficult part of the job. Under what circumstances should we consider closure? What are the values upon which you want me to make my decision?

I will continue to wrestle with this until Tuesday evening. Right now, I'm trying to arrange a walk-through of Ritchie. When do we let go and decide that there is no hope? Could we have taken steps to avert its current situation?

No comments: