Sunday, March 28, 2010

Response to letter from CCEP staff

From your comments, I can tell you read my blog, so I wanted to let you know that I received and read your three-page letter. Thank you for taking the time to put your concerns on paper. It will be shared with all trustees, as the aim was to allow staff to have an opportunity to share their concerns with the entire board not just me personally. (Yours is the only letter that the trustees have received thus far from staff, to my knowledge.)

There were many misconceptions about me in the letter, which I would be happy to discuss in detail, should you care to contact me personally (Sue.Huff@epsb.ca), but as several points you raised have also been articulated by others over the past couple of years, I thought this might be a good opportunity to bring some of the myths to light.

You suggested that I ran on a "no closure" platform. Although I stated a desire to preserve community schools as an option for parents, open communication, increased collaboration, respect for teachers, restoring the relevance of trustees, as well as a number of other issues were also important to me. You can read my forum speech here:
http://suefortrustee.blogspot.com/2007/12/election-promises.html

You also expressed concerns about my motivation in using a blog and twitter. I can only reply that this form of communication has created many new connections and I would expect it to be a more common communication vehicle for trustees in the future. I have received comments in appreciation of the effort I've made to provide quick and easy access to relevant information. Despite your advice, I will not stop posting, but you, of course, are free to stop reading. (FYI- the one-line communications on twitter are called "tweets" not "twits", but perhaps you knew this already and were making a clever play on words!)

I would like to assure that I am indeed trying to "do my job" and have absolutely no desire to make yours harder. I have been carefully considering all input and will add your rationale in support of closure to my deliberations.

Finally, thank you for the important work you are doing with some of our city's most vulnerable children. I know the entire board greatly appreciates it.  How ever we vote on the school closure recommendations on April 13th, I know that each and every trustee is focused on trying to do the very best for children. My slogan during the campaign was "Putting Kids First" and I will be sure to remember this when I cast my vote.

2 comments:

Kuchinski said...

Who are the CCEP? Any chance we can read the letter?

Sue Huff said...

CCEP= City Centre Education Project. This is a collection of seven inner city schools that work collaboratively together. These schools were recently reviewed and on April 13, the board will be voting on the recommendation to close three of the CCEP schools (McCauley, Parkdale, Eastwood)and remove the elementary program from a fourth (Spruce Avenue).

The letter was written to me and although I will share it with my colleagues on the board because it is related to our upcoming decision, I don't feel it would be fair to the writer to post it on my blog without permission. If the author wishes to contact me and grant permission, I would consider it, but as they wrote it anonymously and given the personal nature of the comments, I am guessing they won't want to do this.