Monday, May 10, 2010

Sue not seeking re-election

After a great deal of reflection over many months, I have decided not to seek re-election in October.

I would like to thank my community for the privilege of representing them over the past three years. I have done my best to listen, to connect, to share information and to bring your concerns to the Board table. I have considered your viewpoints carefully in my decision-making and explained my rationale for the difficult decisions I’ve had to make. You, in turn, have been unfailingly appreciative and fair with me. Serving the public has been a great experience for me and I thank you for your generous support.

I would also like to thank the many outstanding members of the EPSB extended family that I have met and worked with over the past term (you know who you are!) I salute your dedication to children, youth and families. There is no greater calling than nurturing and educating children. My conversations with you have broadened and deepened my understanding of complex educational and social issues, challenged my views and helped me grow as a person. You can be sure that I will carry with me what I have learned from each of you.

Over the final months of my term, I will continue to focus on the job at hand. We have budgets to consider, policies to review and work to do to ensure a smooth transition for the next board. In Ward C, there are a number of strong potential candidates and I will be working to ensure they are ready to assume the role.  As well, I am happy to provide any additional mentoring, as desired, following October 18. I am heartened to see the growing public interest in trusteeship and in particular I am excited by the number of young people declaring their intent to run in the next election. As a parent and Westmount community member, I will, of course, remain actively engaged with Edmonton Public School Board. It look forward to seeing where the next Board leads EPSB and it is my sincere hope that it will be a board dedicated to the principles of transparency, openness, accountability, integrity and good governance.

So what’s next? At this point, I am still exploring options. I remain fiercely dedicated to the ideas of community, social justice, children and democracy. I look forward to finding new ways to serve my community and to affect change in a progressive and productive manner.

Thank you again for your support and your dedication to public education.

1 comment:

rjkoopmans said...

Sorry to hear you are not runing again. I just found out outside the meeting hall after the meeting. 1 term is not enough. thanks 4 your service sue.

rory j koopmans